Are we really pregnant?

"Are we really pregnant?!" The first words to come from my new husband of 14 days. And yes, we were really pregnant! The stars must have been aligned just right on our wedding day, just two weeks prior.

I know,I know.Who get's pregnant on their wedding night anymore? Almost sound cliche,right? But it happens, and  we did.

Lee and I got married on September 2nd, and we left for our honeymoon September 10th.

We spent our days laying by the ocean. 
We stayed at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya. 



We spent 5 days under the sun in Mexico . These were days I would never forget. Everything about the trip was so memorable. It was mine and Lee's first time flying anywhere together. And first time traveling as a married couple. Our trip was scheduled right when there happened to be 5 HURRICANES happening, and one forming in the Gulf of Mexico.I panicked (Of course) and was certain we would be canceling our trip. Thankfully, we didn't have to,and everything was just fine.
Now its freezing cold and snow here in Wisconsin and I often think back to the honeymoon. I just remember sitting there with Lee, and being so.in.love.  Seriously, I felt like a little highschool girl with a major crush. This was the man I got to marry and I get to spend forever with. And on those days and in that time of vacation, I got to have him 100% to myself. Which is everything I wanted. We laughed,we relaxed, we drank alot, I ate a lot (two words: free food). It was just an amazing time and I remember not wanting it to end because we'd come back and I'd have to share him with the world again.

Lee and I had lots of "talks" while in Mexico. Our conversations ranged  from "When do you think we'll get pregnant" to me saying "I just want to keep my tan going and get a new tattoo when we get home." We weren't sure where life was going to take us after all the wedding bliss was all said and done.
I knew Lee was100% ready to start a family right after the wedding. We had talked about it a million times before. So I went off birth control Late July or early August. And we had just said, whatever happens, happens. But laying there in Mexico , where it was just the two of us, I never wanted it to end. I always wanted it to be me and Lee. Atleast for awhile. And I got scared.And after a few  too many margaritas , I brought it up to him, and he reassured me things were going to be 150% okay. And thats all I needed to hear.
Our time in Mexico ended so fast it seemed. And the next thing I know, we're checking our bags into the airline. We had a long day of travel.We left our hotel before 7am, and didn't reach Milwaukee until about 6pm, with a 4 hour drive to get to our final destination.  It was just before 11pm when we finally arrived home. We were both exhausted to say the least. I know it didn't take me very long to fall asleep. Staying asleep was the hard part.
All through the night I kept waking up to awful cramps in my stomach. And my first thought was   the fast food we ate on the way home probably wasn't setting  well. So I kept falling in and out of sleep . 6am came around and my body wanted to be wide awake, but my eyes still wanted to be shut, So I laid on the couch trying to fall back asleep, but surprise, the cramps were back! I laid there thinking, "Jeeze, if my body is telling me I have to go to the bathroom, then let's do this already". But no, instead I laid there longer. Then I remembered I was supposed to be getting the gift of Aunt Flow in just 3 days,so maybe she was just giving me a fair warning. I was saying to myself, this will pass soon, when all of the sudden it dawned on me, "Sierra, you idiot, you don't get cramps when Aunt Flow comes, YOU NEVER HAVE!Could I be pregnant?! My phone calculator tells me my wedding night was prime ovulation , but could it be happening this fast?!".  I'm still half asleep when all the panic sets in. Do I take a test? Lee told me  in Mexico not to take a test unless I absolutely had a reason to believe I was pregnant. Is this a reason? Is this a symptom?I don't know, I've never been pregnant before!!  Then I snapped out of it. Went to the bathroom, looked at the digital tests and it said detectable up to 6 days before missed periods.  So I thought, why not. I'm probably not pregnant, so lets just reassure myself.I struggled to get the box open, and I was about 2 seconds away from  peeing my pants when I finally ripped it open and did the business. 
I've never taken a digital test before, so I didn't know what to expect. My eyes were still half shut, as the test read "loading....." So I set the test down and let my dogs outside so  they would quit whining and not wake Lee up. By time I got back to the bathroom to read the test, it was  finished loading. And there it was. On my counter , in bold writing, a test that said "Pregnant". I just couldn't believe it. Like I said, my eyes were still half shut, so maybe I was reading it wrong. I set it back down, let my dogs backs inside and came back to it. I thought maybe it was  still loading the "NOT " part that came before pregnant.But it didn't.And there it was. There I was. PREGNANT.
All sorts of panic set in. The million of thoughts that ran through my head began. How do I tell Lee? He told me to wait to take a test.But I wasn't expecting it to be positive. Would he be mad that I took one? Do I wake him up right now? Should I jump on him and wave this test in his face? OMG, I just went on a 5 day binger in Mexico, and I was pregnant. OMG I'M PREGNANT. 
These we're just a few thoughts that went through my head.
I decided to let Lee sleep in, because I knew he was exhausted from our long day of travel. And I laid on the couch thinking of what I was going to say or how I was going to say it. In the next hour or so, my stomach really started hurting, and I overall started not to feel good. So I went from laying next to Lee on the couch, to laying in our bed. But before I did so, I took picture of the positive test, and set it as Lee's background on his phone. I knew his phone would be the first thing he reached for when he woke up. 2 hours went by and I had fallen asleep in our bed, but heard Lee wake up. So this was it. This was the moment. He's about to find out he'd going to be a Dad! Well, then another 30 minutes went by before he started to walk toward the bedroom. I heard him coming down the hall and my heart started beating faster and faster. I pretended to still be asleep when he walked into the room. He casually walked into our room like no big deal, when all of the sudden he stopped in his tracks, backed up and shut the door. I knew that was the moment he saw the news for the first time. He walked back in a little more eager this time, and came and sat on my side of the bed. I sat up, and that's when he asked "Are we really pregnant?!" And I got to say yes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I will show you that surviving can be beautiful.

Meeting our Trisomy 18 baby: Part 2

"Not compatible with life"