Yes, We're REALLY Pregnant!

After I got to confirm the big news to my husband, we both sat in there in shock. We just couldn't believe it happened so fast, we were so excited but still trying to wrap our minds around it.
Our very much positive test!

My sister had just face-timed us off of Lee's phone, and that is the real reason he was coming into the bedroom by me in the first place. So we called her back, and had to hold the excitement in to ourselves. It was kind of a fun little secret between us, but it was also hard to hold back such exciting news.

I got up out of bed to continue with our day, but man, I really did not feel good. My cramps got worse, I got a fever,and I couldn't stay awake, and then (TMI) I couldn't stay out of the bathroom. Was this a symptom of pregnancy? Would I even be showing signs at 2 weeks in? I was really confused, and really sick. Soon, I was dehydrated and things got worse instead of better. In my first day of knowing I was pregnant,I got to utilize the Nurses Hotline to see if this was normal or if I should go in to Urgent Care. They were concerned about dehydration and suggest we go see the doctor. So we did. Meanwhile, telling my mom that I'm sick, but not being able to tell her much more than that.

We arrived at the clinic at the admitted us to the  ER right away. There they hooked me up to IVs,  took my blood and also a urine sample.I told them my symptoms and then the doctor came in to talk. She thought maybe I had just the normal stomach bug, but I informed her that we had just gotten back from Mexico, and her concern went up.  She left the room for a bit to let the fluids drip into me. (I was so dehydrated I got 2 full bags of fluid at full speed). The Doctor then  came back in the room after reading some tests ,looked at the two of us, and exclaimed "Well, you are indeed pregnant!" I smiled. And I watched Lee's eyes light up all over again. She explain we were very early in the pregnancy, and my HCG counts were only at 90.

While we waited for more tests to come back, my mother was asking Lee if she should meet us up there. With the fear of my mom finding out about the pregnancy in the ER, Lee kindly told her she could stay home. And I know this broke my moms heart because she's always been there anytime I've been in the emergency room. But that is not how we intended my mom to find out about her grand-baby on the way! I then look over at Lee and he's still kind of smirking . I asked what that was all about and he simply said," We're pregnant." and the smirk turned into a giant smile. And all of the sudden he started in a slight panic," We need a crib, and a carseat, and I'm going to have to clean my truck..." and the list went on and on. I giggled. And reassured we had lots of time and we weren't taking a baby home that day.
Finally my IV was finished and most of the tests came back negative. They sent a few off to a near by clinic to be read, and I would know the results in a few days. So we packed up and went home. To be honest, I didn't even know what they were testing for.But we happily went on our way. We spent the next day at home, where I was still tied up on the couch sick. And I repeated the same thing on Monday. Besides being sick, I was on my phone downloading pregnancy apps, reading about early pregnancy,  and wondering how and when we would tell everyone!  Monday happened to be my  Dad's birthday and I was going to make him a cake. I asked Lee if we could tell my parents that night, but even I wasn't so sure if I wanted to just yet.  The biggest dilemma for me was that I work with my mom. If by chance I got morning sickness or was taking off for Doctors appointments, she would catch on real fast. Plus, she's my mom, and honestly one of the first people I want to run to with anything. So we decided to tell them that night. I had no idea what I was going to say or how I was going to say it. And when it did come out, my face was red and hot and it was like word vomit. My Dad was picking on my mom about being sad about the other night when we told her to stay home from the ER. And my word vomit went something like "You couldn't come with us,because we're pregnant!" and then I shoved a bite of cake in my mouth real fast. Everyone else just stopped eating their cake and stood in silence. And then we got the typical "No you're not " from my mom. And Lee started laughing and confirmed we were. 
Its funny because, I always had it in my mind that I would tell everyone in a cute, fun way. And circumstances led me to the complete opposite. At this point we just wanted to share the news because we didn't know what was to come with the further testing.
I had a follow up doctors appointment the next day where I met with my primary doctor. She congratulated me, and we talked about OBs and such. She then sent me down to Lab for more blood draws to follow up on testing from Saturday night. When my symptoms didn't ease up by Friday, I found myself back up at the doctors office, for even more testing. The first test was to make sure my HCG counts were going up and that the pregnancy was "Sticking" through this whole disaster. Then she took a few more to be sent off to another clinic. So it was just a waiting game to hear any results. At this point, I just wanted answers and  relief.
Lee and I went out for dinner at my favorite Mexican restaurant about 30minutes away that night. Then, the clinic called. I stepped outside to answer . I was greeted with "Hi Sierra, I have some good news, and I have some not so good news." My heart sank as I waited. She continues to say my HCG had more than doubled in 6 days. My counts were not at 1381.Which was the good news, because baby was growing strong! I sighed a sigh of relief. But then she hit me with the bad news. She explained to me that she was nervous about this virus I was carrying.She said it concerned her, because it was 1 of 2 viruses, and one of those viruses could cross my placenta and harm the baby. She explained that it was very important that I get back to labs that same night to do further testing.
I had to go back in and explain to Lee. My appetite was gone. And I just wanted to know what was going on. I just wanted answers. So back home we went. We went for blood draws Friday night, and again Saturday, 12 hours apart. At this point I was about tired of needles. 
Finally later that week we got all of our blood tests back and each one was negative. Thank the Lord! Although we never got answers as to what kind of virus I was carrying around, we knew the  baby was going to be okay, and so was I. Talk about a strange, and scary start to the pregnancy. 
Over the next couple of weeks we went back in for blood draws to keep an eye on my HCG levels. And by 7 weeks, we got our first ultrasound of the little peanut and we got to hear the heartbeat to reassure all was well. I think that was the day it finally hit me there was a human growing in me. And that day changed my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I will show you that surviving can be beautiful.

Meeting our Trisomy 18 baby: Part 2

"Not compatible with life"